We All Belong
MICAH’s We All Belong Campaign is led by religious leaders of all faiths and is open to anyone who rejects hatred, inequality and oppression, and is willing to work for the “Beloved Community”. In the Beloved Community, all people are valued and respected, and prejudice, oppression and greed are replaced with friendship and goodwill. The campaign launched in August, 2023.
- To educate our congregations and communities about the danger that “christian” nationalism poses to our democracy
- To organize around Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr’s Beloved Community – a society in which all people are valued and respected, and prejudice, oppression and greed are replaced with friendship and goodwill. In the Beloved Community, care and compassion drive political policies, and the intrinsic worth of all people is embraced
- Protect Democracy
Our American democracy is a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. It guarantees liberty and justice for all Americans. As people of faith, we understand Americans to include indigenous people, the original inhabitants of this land, as well as those who were forcibly brought to America and enslaved, and those who came as immigrants and workers. We believe America is stronger when justice, wealth, opportunity and representation are available to all Americans, rather than to an elite few.
- Reject “christian” Nationalism
“Christian” nationalism is an ideology that merges Christian and American identities and, in doing so, distorts the Christian Gospel and the values of equality that guide our nation. Jesus commanded his followers to “love your neighbor as yourself” and defined ‘neighbor’ to include the poor and marginalized. Other religious faiths have similar teachings. Our democracy was founded on the rule of law, equal representation and separation of church and state. In contrast, “christian” nationalism would create a state religion and place social control, economic wealth, and political power in a favored elite and religious class. “christian” nationalism often overlaps with and provides cover for white supremacy, racial and gender subjugation, and religious intolerance. It would fundamentally alter our society and government and must be rejected.
- Build the Beloved Community
As people of faith and as Americans, we believe in what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. called the ‘Beloved Community.’ Beloved Community works for the betterment of all Americans. It respects the value of every human being, celebrates diversity, and supports equity and inclusion. It stands with those who others would exclude. We seek to build this Beloved Community for the many races, faiths, cultures, and ways of life that together make up this nation.
SIGN THE STATEMENT
MAKE A SECURE DONATION
REV. DR. RICHARD SHAW SIGNS THE STATEMENT
We All Belong Training
- Thursday March 21, St. Sebastian Church, Milwaukee
Soup & Substance 5:30 meal, 6:00 program
- Saturday April 27, Good Shepherd Church, Menomonee Falls
Light meal 5:30, 6:00 program